Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Yasuko, Still. Always.



Anniversaries are days to reflect, but today is the most unnecessary of them because I don't need a special reason to remember you. A joke, a song, a new dish, a new experience - all can bring me back to thoughts of you. The other day one of our friend's made a wise-ass crack that was so perfectly you I swear I could hear your laughter in my ears. Of all the things that's what I miss most, the way you would explode in helpless peals that just seemed to encompass all the joy of life and delight in the world. Funny stories and anecdotes were so much a part of who you were, they were like little gems you would take out and share. And that's what you are now, a gem, a gem that those who loved you treasure and share with others. And they can see the sparkle reflecting off of us.

I think the hardest part of you being gone is that you were so very much alive.

I miss you deeply. Broadly. And constantly. Pain and gratitude take turns in me. Gratitude wins, hands-down, every time, but the pain...it really ambushes me sometimes.

I wish I could have been there for you.
I wish I could have done something. Anything. Everything.

But I don't regret a single thing, not a single moment. I'm grateful for every one of them.

Still. And Forever. You will always be a part of me.

Play this with the volume turned up.  Even through her rig and the water, you can still hear that laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home