Thursday, July 06, 2006

Cranford Ferry - Dykes - Mohawk - Venturo June 16 & 18 2006


I headed out late on a Thursday night to dive with Henrik on the Stingray. The plan was to sleep in my camper bus at the marina, but the local cops had different ideas. They woke me up at 1 am to hassle me about sleeping in my vehicle, and pissed me off even more by ticketing me. Guess they thought it would serve the public better to have a bleary-eyed driver on the road than to have one minding his own business in his sleeping bag. Whatever, I bring it up so no one else gets busted.

Conditions were gorgeous on the water, not even 1-footers, bright and sunny without being hot. Dive one we went to the Cranford Ferry. Henrik was nice enough to let me splash with the mate, which worked out well as I was able to help him haul the grapple. It had pulled from the debris and was about 20' out, not a big deal but easier for two than one. Viz was good at about 30', lots of light penetration as we were only down about 60'. Early on a dogfish swam over my head, and any dive I see a shark on is a good one. I quickly found two grapples, and later on bagged a decent size bug, maybe two pounds. I've never been one to bother with lobsters, but with time to play I decided I might as well try my luck. After ten minutes of fruitlessly searching I grabbed a broken fishing rod. That did the trick, he popped right out into my hand. I clipped the two grapples I found to the anchor chain, but unfortunately the split ring I used busted before they could be hauled up.

Dive two we went to the Dykes, which is one of my old favorites. I splashed again with the mate, but this time we used a checklist. I was diving ccr so it was a given I'd be the last up, and it made the most sense for me to pull the hook. Somehow none of us had a slate, so we just put 5 clips on the chain plus my strobe. I had a very nice time cruising the wreck. I grabbed another bug, but it was small and a softshell to boot, so I let it go. You're not suffering when the consolation prize is a big bag of mussels anyways. After an hour I went back to the line, saw that all the clips gone, and pulled it for a free ascent.

I had a bit of a surprise when I got home. It seems I wasn't solo diving after all! When I opened my scrubber canister what did I find but a spider in there. He didn't seem worse for the wear, and certainly has been places few spiders have dreamed of. Mayhap I should shake the hoses a little more carefully after hanging them to dry, especially as I did find a beautiful black widow once in my basement.

Saturday I also went out with Henrik. Have you noticed how, when putting all those new docks in at Belmar they seem to have forgotten about parking? When I saw the new setup last fall I thought what a nightmare its going to be on a summer weekend. Yep, its pretty much exactly what you'd expect, though the addition of a charter bus in a space where minis fear to tread didn't help things. My favorite part was when the garbage truck pulled up. You can just imagine the conversation: "When is your busiest time? About quarter to seven on a saturday? Ok great we'll send the truck then!"

Oh well, these things sort themselves out. Onboard was fellow wreckvalley member Scott Montgomery (Jersey Diver), out kicking it hard and getting his sea legs. Also with us was Alek, whom I met last November when he was out in chilly-willy weather diving wet. I was relieved to see that through a combination of finances and common sense he is now diving dry, as something just t'aint right with a guy diving wet that late in the season ("He seemed like such a nice guy, a normal guy. Who could have guessed he was burying dive buddies in his basement?")

Dive one was on the Mohawk. I spent a lot of time digging at a spot under the debris, but ultimately I think someone beat me to it. I found a peeled-up old mirror, and wood from an old crate, but other than that all I got was dirty gear. I did manage towards the end of the dive to bag up another bug though, so all was not in vain. I'm starting to think I like this whole bug-catching thing! Certainly my family thinks its a good idea. One of the divers onboard, Gary, saw two mako sharks. I'm sorry I missed them, but its nice to know they are there.

For dive two we went to the Venturo. I ran a reel out to the APC's, as there were several divers with us who hadn't been there before. I'd never noticed before what a nice penetration dive the Venturo is. The engine room is snug, but there are a number of gauges and other things to look at. I had hoped to find a bug inside, but instead all I saw were body parts, and a 6' silver eel looking rather smug. Later I ventured off into the sand a ways, leaving behind a trail of clam shells stuck into the mud. Sharks were everywhere, several dozen dogfish swirling all about me. I was having a good time communing with nature close up, until four or five of them began fighting with each other, and the rest started to get really agitated. At that point I elected to perform the dive skill called 'Get Me the Fuck Out of Here', lest I started to look toothsome in my non-threatening bubbleless way. A few followed me up the line, but without any real intent.

I may have a new avocation in the future, after Capt Dave was kind enough to give me four meaty sea bass fillets. A little panko, a little lemon, and I feel like I've had a transcendent experience. Delicious! Celestial! Hallelujah-can-I-get-a-witness! It was some of the tastiest fish I've had in my life. I've always eschewed spearing fish, but I find myself googling sea bass, and wondering if my non-violent, oh-look-at-the-pretty-fish ways are about to get much more mercenary. More pointed, you might say.

Caveat piscis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home